Tuesday, June 7, 2022

European Culture: William

One observation that I've noticed is the amount of public transit that is available. In the U.S., I feel that public transit is incredibly limited compared to the Netherlands. I was also surprised by the number of people that utilized public transit (definitely a lot more people than what I was expecting). In the U.S., I feel that even when public transit is available, people still opt to utilize cars. I also found it surprising that many train stops extend to more rural areas such as Franeker (which is Platteville sized) which is definitely not seen much in the U.S. where public transit is less common in rural areas.

4 Comments:

At June 7, 2022 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Allison Diederich said...

I agree in the Netherlands there are so many forms of transportation available. Busses, trains, subways and trolleys are all options in a lot of cities. Much more available than the US. Not to mention the different foldable and electric bikes and mini cars.

 
At June 7, 2022 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Mallory Beyers said...

I also think that public transit is much more accessible throughout Europe. I feel frustrated that the United States depends so much on private travel. I find it difficult to believe that driving your own private car is a solution to travel. Gas prices are soarin and the oil crisis is only going to get worse!

 
At June 8, 2022 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Molly said...

I enjoyed the public transportation. Yes, it was frustrating at times, but I can see where it is so important for many people’s daily lives. They are definitely next level when it comes to transportation, but it makes sense to utilize it when you have a country they size of our states.

 
At June 11, 2022 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Maddi Besch said...

I thought it was really cool to see how much they used public transportation over there. I also find it interesting that even the small towns(like Franeker) still had many options for transportation. I am curious how much money can be saved annually by opting for public transportation over driving a car.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home